From Sick Care To Preventive Care: How Yoga Fits Into
Still, an essential piece of the health crisis puzzle is shifting some of the focus away from treatment and toward health promotion and disease prevention. This seems super obvious, but it’s a massive societal juggernaut, and changing from a sick care model to a health care model takes time!
4 days ago / 85 People Used See more...
Integrative Care: Wellness Programs In Hospitals Improve
The current American health care system focuses on disease, rather than on disease prevention and wellness. However, numerous studies have shown that lifestyle-based diseases such as obesity, type II diabetes and cardiac disease can be prevented and often reversed with a holistic health approach including diet and exercise.
3 days ago / 105 People Used See more...
Stay Healthy This Spring—Natural Solutions For Seasonal
- Many of us suffer from itchy, water eyes, runny noses, sniffles and sneezing due to seasonal allergies
- Instead of resorting to chemicals with harmful side effects to ease allergy symptoms, there are some easy, natural ways to tackle the sniffles
- Our immune systems can be sensitive and react to various things due to interactions and imbalances in inflammation.
8 days ago / 101 People Used See more...
Professional Yoga Therapy Studies YogaUOnline
The Professional Yoga Therapy Studies program focuses on offering yoga therapy training for licensed health care professionals. Founder Ginger Garner created the program for licensed health care providers to help bridge the gap between western and eastern medical modalities and further the integration of yoga therapy in a clinical setting.
9 days ago / 83 People Used See more...
Ayurvedic Eats: 7 Healthy Hacks That Won’t Sacrifice
- Coconut oil is a good replacement for any cooking oil, especially canola and the ever-mysterious “vegetable” oil
- Its health benefits are being touted everywhere these days, but the key is moderation
- It can withstand high heat, making it excellent for …
Just Now / 95 People Used See more...
Ayurvedic Herbal Remedies For High Blood Pressure
Ayurveda, the ancient India system of holistic health care, views “dis-ease” as a lack of wholeness, which causes a breakdown in the flow of the body’s innate, self-maintaining and self-healing intelligence. Ayurvedic herbal combinations work by enhancing the …
2 days ago / 108 People Used See more...
The Power Of Healthy Habits: Yoga Changes Gene Expression
- Everyone has experienced inflammation as a temporary phenomenon in response to injuries or other challenges that activate the immune system
- This is a useful response that is part of the body’s natural defense system
- When inflammation becomes chronic, however, it’s a different story
- Stress can trigger chronic inflammation in the body, and chronic inflammation in turn has
5 days ago / 122 People Used See more...
A Daily Yoga Sequence For Pelvic Pain YogaUOnline
- Pelvic pain impacts so many people
- In fact, the International Pelvic Pain Society estimates that over 25 million women suffer from chronic pelvic pain
- While the number is generally lower in men, some studies estimate that around 1 in 10 men experiences chronic pelvic pain, often termed chronic prostatitis
- Because of the prevalence of pelvic pain, I’ve developed a movement
2 days ago / 100 People Used See more...
Yoga Therapy Gains Ground In Hospitals YogaUOnline
As the health benefits of yoga are increasingly recognized, more doctors in the US are utilizing yoga therapy as an adjunct practice to modern medicine. According to the New York Times, yoga is offered as therapy in 93 percent of 755 integrative medical centers across the nation—facilities that offer both traditional medicine and alternative approaches to health under one
1 days ago / 80 People Used See more...
8 Tips For A Healthy Brain YogaUOnline
- You are only as young as you feel
- But, if you are over age 30 and often forget where you put your car keys, your brain is beginning to show signs of aging
- An occasional forgetful moment isn’t the same as diagnosed dementia
- But brain aging is something to be aware of
- Dementia is diagnosed as a group of symptoms that affect cognitive tasks, including memory.
2 days ago / 72 People Used See more...
Study Finds That Yoga, Meditation Can Reduce Health Care
- Health care costs drive millions of Americans into bankruptcy and poverty each year
- Over the past decade increasing evidence points to mind-body interventions like yoga as being highly effective in reducing stress and improving well-being
- A landmark study of one such program published in the research journal PLOS One provides convincing evidence that mind-body training is
Just Now / 111 People Used See more...
Free Download! Beyond Disease Care: The Yogic Paradigm For
- We spend more on health care and have more drugs and surgeries for countering disease than any time in history
- Yet, for far too many people, health after the age of 55 remains woefully elusive
- About three out of four people over the age of 55 suffer from at least one chronic disease, according to the CDC
- And one in two 55+ year-olds struggle
2 days ago / 54 People Used See more...
Five Ways Music Can Make You Healthier YogaUOnline
- In particular, researchers have looked for applications in health-care—for example, helping patients during post-surgery recovery or improving outcomes for people with Alzheimer’s
- In some cases, music’s positive impacts on health have been more powerful than medication
- Here are five ways that music seems to impact our health and wellbeing.
6 days ago / 89 People Used See more...
A Kosha Model Of Health And Healing YogaUOnline
- Reframing Health and Human Potential: How the Kosha Model Helps Us Address the Health Care Crises
- In the first session, Kaoverii will discuss how the Kosha model reframes what it means to be a human being, living in social systems, and what it means to be healthy
- The dominance of reductionist medical models is problematic and has contributed
2 days ago / 56 People Used See more...
Yoga As Lifestyle Medicine: Frequency Of Home Practice
Changing multiple health behaviors results in even further reductions in morbidity and improvements in overall health and wellness. Vast amounts of money, as much as 75% of healthcare-related spending, are spent for the treatment of chronic health conditions including obesity, type 2 diabetes, and cardiovascular disease.
Just Now / 125 People Used See more...
Yoga's Health Benefits: Studies Suggest Yoga Can Help Calm
- “Inflammation”––most of you have heard this term that is being used by health care practitioners for all kinds of health conditions
- Inflammation appears to be an underlying component in many health conditions including: Acid reflux
- Celiac disease (inflammation in the digestive system)
1 days ago / 127 People Used See more...
Nourishing The Prana Body For Long Term Health And
- Charlotte Bech, M.D., is one of the many “traditional” health care providers who has embraced Ayurvedic medicine as part of their practice
- She spoke to us about treating patients holistically, how our state of mind impacts our health
- YogaUOnline: You’re trained as an M.D
- in Denmark and you have had your own private practice focusing on Ayurvedic medicine for many years.
3 days ago / 140 People Used See more...
Want To Be Healthy
- When I first encountered true whole-being relaxation, I was blown away
- Following a 20-minute Somatics audio recording by Amy Matthews, I felt embedded in my skin and on the floor in a way I had never experienced
- I knew I had to dive deeper into these practices, so I have since spent the last three years exploring somatic practices.
7 days ago / 95 People Used See more...
Integrative Medicine Program Includes Yoga Therapy
As the government starts deliberations on how to transform the nation’s health care system, the Beth Israel Medical Center in New York City and the Urban Zen Foundation have taken concrete steps to put “health” back into health care. For these two institutions, health care is not limited to the usually invasive procedures of Western medicine; it also involves the more holistic
6 days ago / 105 People Used See more...
Yoga Therapy: Improving Health And Well Being Naturally
- Yoga therapy is still considered to be a new professional field
- However, it is now recognized worldwide as a clinically viable treatment
- There are established yoga therapy programs at major health care centers and clinics around the United States
- It is increasingly being used regularly in health care facilities and hospitals.
Just Now / 120 People Used See more...
Sankalpa: The Yoga Of Making Healthy Choices YogaUOnline
- Lynn Crimando, MA serves as the teaching mentor for YogaUOnline's Wellness Educator Program
- She is a yoga teacher, C-IAYT Yoga Therapist, board-certified Health and Wellness Coach, and a Buteyko Practitioner
- She has a private practice in New York City and teaches classes throughout the city on behalf of Health Advocates for Older People.
3 days ago / 104 People Used See more...
6 Ayurveda Tools To Reduce Stress, Depression And Anxiety
- In spite of the many advances in the field of mental health, it is estimated that about 1/3 of our population is suffering from some form of diagnosable mental illness at any given time
- The cost of mental health care in the U.S
- alone is approximately 1 trillion dollars annually
- And, in spite of the good that many medicines do (and in the field of mental health many of these
9 days ago / 131 People Used See more...
Happier Tweets, Healthier Communities YogaUOnline
- New research finds that the number of heart disease deaths in a county can be predicted by analyzing the language its residents use on Twitter
- Why does one community have higher levels of heart disease than another? Some of the reasons are obvious, such as income and education levels or local eating and exercise norms
- But as epidemiologists have long argued, other likely
4 days ago / 97 People Used See more...
The Five Layers Of Health
- The five koshas are a nested system consisting of the bliss layer, the wisdom layer, the mind, the life force, and finally the body
- The grosser layers arise from the more subtle layers, and all the layers influence each other, and function as a system
- This powerful model has far-reaching implications, even for modern day existence.
2 days ago / 66 People Used See more...
Healthy Breathing: What Is A Yogic Inhalation
First, let’s take a look at what happens physiologically when you breathe in: The diaphragm contracts and moves down (your diaphragm is responsible for 75% of inhalation). External intercostal muscles contract, lifting and rotating the ribs, lifting …
Just Now / 105 People Used See more...
Surya Little: Yoga For Women’s Health – Adapting Your
Surya Little is founder of Prajna Yoga with her husband, Tias Little, and she teaches yoga workshops and yoga teacher trainings both nationally and internationally. Surya’s yoga background includes many years of study in the Ashtanga and Iyengar yoga traditions, and she also has an extensive background in the macrobiotic approach to healing.
7 days ago / 143 People Used See more...
Pelvic Floor Health: Why Developing Mindfulness Matters
Shelly Prosko, PT, PYT, CPI is a Physical Therapist and Yoga Therapist, Shelly is dedicated to bridging the gap between yoga and modern healthcare philosophies and believes it is essential in order to create and sustain optimal health. She received her Physical Therapy degree at the University of Saskatchewan, Canada, and her medical
7 days ago / 134 People Used See more...
Transforming Menopause: How Yoga Practice Can Support A
- Given our modern health care and longer life spans, women in First World countries can anticipate spending close to one-third of their lives in a post-reproductive state
- Christiane Northrup, the author of The Wisdom of Menopause , said, “The years surrounding menopause and encompassing the gradual change in ovarian function constitute an
7 days ago / 145 People Used See more...
Ankylosing Spondylitis: What Is It And How Can Yoga Help
Ankylosing spondylitis is a chronic inflammation of the joints of the spine and is considered to be an autoimmune disease. Symptoms include pain in the SI joint, spine and other joints, reduced chest/rib mobility or expansion, resulting in less efficient breathing patterns, fatigue, osteopenia/osteoporosis, and digestion problems (IBS).
8 days ago / 117 People Used See more...
Healthy Practice: Balancing Freedom And Restraint In Yoga
- The work of legendary furniture designers Charles and Ray Eames has been described as a balance of freedom and restraint
- Eames was once asked: “Have you ever been forced to accept compromises?” He responded: “I don’t remember ever being forced to accept compromises, but I have willingly accepted constraints.” (1) Practicing yoga also involves working within constraints,
2 days ago / 142 People Used See more...
Mary Beth Ray YogaUOnline
- Mary Beth Ray is a certified yoga teacher, holistic nutrition consultant, and Functional Medicine and National Board-Certified Health & Wellness coach
- She helps women with osteoporosis understand their bones, nourish their bones, and build stronger bones so they can enjoy a long life of mobility and independence
8 days ago / 79 People Used See more...
Yoga For Pelvic Floor Health: Why Kegels May Do More Harm
- Yoga for Pelvic Floor Health: Why Kegels May Do More Harm than Good
- In seeking the cause of ailments such as back pain, constipation, or even dysfunctional breathing issues, the pelvic floor rarely shows up on the list of potential suspects
- But physical therapist Jessica Reale and yoga educator Patricia Schmidt are on a mission to change that.
8 days ago / 150 People Used See more...
Four Reasons Why Every New Mom Needs Physical Therapy
The American Physical Therapy Association’s 2010-11 report titled Today’s Physical Therapist: A Comprehensive Review of a 21st-Century Health Care Profession, states “physical therapists are committed to facilitating each individual’s achievement of goals for function, health…
6 days ago / 129 People Used See more...
Yoga In Schools Improves Health Research Shows YogaUOnline
- A recent survey suggests that roughly 80% of children and adolescents will have some form of psychological problem by age 21
- Many of these conditions, like depression and anxiety are rooted in chronic stress
- This is one reason why more schools are turning to yoga to improve the health of American youth according to a review of the research published in Annals of the New York
1 days ago / 115 People Used See more...
Study: Yoga Next Doctor’s Rx For Stress Issues
In the first study of yoga and stress in primary health care, Swedish researchers evaluated the effects on patients with a range of stress-related symptoms and diagnoses, from the pain of supraspinatus syndrome to hypertension to depression.
Just Now / 135 People Used See more...
Yoga For Women's Health: Soothing Yoga Sequence To Ease
- Coming back up to your hands and knees in tabletop position, step your right foot forward between your hands and then bring your right arm inside your right leg, heel-toeing your right foot slightly wider than your right hip
3 days ago / 149 People Used See more...
Here’s To Your Health: 8 Great Reasons To Drink Tea
- While you’re likely to find a coffee shop around nearly every street corner in America, our beloved cuppa Joe is beginning to face more competition from its mellower counterpart, tea
- And there are some good reasons why
- Tea has numerous health benefits, and barely a month goes by without a new study coming out touting the benefits of this subtly flavored beverage.
1 days ago / 118 People Used See more...
Heart Healthy Eats: How Nuts Can Supercharge The
- Article Summary: Eating two tablespoons of mixed nuts daily may reduce symptoms of “metabolic syndrome” by 70 percent
- Nuts have a positive impact on cardiovascular risk since they’re rich in anti-inflammatory substances, such as fiber, and antioxidants, such as vitamin E
- The nutty benefit comes only in combination with the Mediterranean diet.
Heart Disease Health
Just Now / 138 People Used See more...
The Many Health Benefits Of Yoga: What Does The Research
According to a comprehensive review of yoga research reviews and meta-analyses published in Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, the field of yoga research has grown exponentially in the past 5 years, with nearly 200 studies being published annually. As we continue to gain evidence into how yogic principles and practices can be used to maintain and restore health, we
3 days ago / 142 People Used See more...
Healthy Kids: Down Dog Brings Test Scores Up YogaUOnline
- Increased test scores, decreased disciplinary problems and happier, healthier kids is every parent and educators dream
- Schools across the country are beginning to see this dream come true as they introduce yoga into their physical education programs, classroom setting and after-school club offerings
- Although most parents and educators are pleased with the results, not
8 days ago / 118 People Used See more...
Should Yoga Postures Take A Backseat In Yoga Therapy
- Aligning yoga with its evolving role in health care: Comments on yoga practice, policy and research
- Journal of Primary Care & Community Health , 8(3), 176-179
- B Grace Bullock, PhD, E-RYT 500 is a psychologist, research scientist, educator, yoga and mindfulness expert and author of Mindful Relationships: Seven Skills for Success - Integrating
9 days ago / 160 People Used See more...
Resilience Training: Why I Don’t Take My Yoga Hot And
- Here is a simple graphic I’ve been using in my training programs (and in yoga classes) to explain why the yoga I teach is different from other kinds of yoga out there
- After I moved to Asheville in 2001, I quickly realized I had a problem
- I couldn’t figure out why people weren’t coming to my classes
- I had done well teaching in the small town in New Jersey I had been living
7 days ago / 159 People Used See more...
Yoga For A Healthy Heart
According to a comprehensive review of yoga research, reviews, and meta-analyses published in Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, the field of yoga research has grown exponentially in the past 7 years, with nearly 200 studies being published annually. As we continue to gain evidence into how yogic principles and practices can be used to maintain and restore health,
Heart Disease Health
Just Now / 163 People Used See more...
Organ Prolapse And Yoga YogaUOnline
Recently the blog received a question from a yoga teacher asking about the role of yoga to both reduce the likelihood of prolapse in her students (most of whom are middle aged mothers of at least one child), and to serve as a therapy to those who have had the surgery and are looking to improve the situation. She also wanted to know if there any poses or actions that could
6 days ago / 120 People Used See more...
Yoga Anatomy: Add Myofascial Release To Your Yoga Classes
- Over the past few years, especially in the last year, I’ve spent a good deal of time learning the technique of myofascial release
- As a self-proclaimed “anatomy nerd,” it’s right up my alley because it gives me a chance to learn more about the body’s structure and function
- Myofascial release (MFR) is the technique of using tools like foam rollers and massage balls (MFR
4 days ago / 139 People Used See more...
Hip On Yoga: 3 Golden Rules For Happy Hips YogaUOnline
Because in research that tested healthcare professionals’ knowledge of orthopaedics, including family practice MD’s, FNP’s, PA’s, PT’s, and orthopaedic surgeons and their PA’s, two health care professionals knew more than any other medical professionals about orthopaedics.
7 days ago / 143 People Used See more...
Yoga Helps Inner City Kids Deal With Stress, Improve
The Los-Angeles-based Accelerated School has introduced regular yoga classes to help their students cope with the overwhelming stress faced by inner city kids, as well as to improve fitness, grades, discipline and self-esteem.
5 days ago / 142 People Used See more...
Please leave your comments here:
FAQ yogauonline.com health
What is healthy really means?
Healthy eating means eating a variety of foods that give you the nutrients you need to maintain your health, feel good, and have energy. These nutrients include protein, carbohydrates, fat, water, vitamins, and minerals. Nutrition is important for everyone. When combined with being physically active...
How do you stay healthy?
In order to stay healthy, you need to live an active and aware lifestyle. This means getting at least 30 minutes of exercise daily, eating a well balanced diet, and try and reduce stress in your lifestyle. Becoming more active will help with stress levels and eating a well balanced diet will help keep you healthy.
Is your healthy food really healthy?
Is Your Healthy Food Really Healthy? Give your salad a second look. While salads are a great way to get in your daily vegetables, it's surprisingly simple to... Avoid artificial sweeteners. While reducing the amount of sugar in your diet is always a positive move, artificial... Be picky about popcorn. Popcorn can be a great low-calorie snack when you make it at home. More ...
Is being too healthy unhealthy?
Yep, being too healthy can actually be unhealthy . Orthorexia is an obsession with eating a "pure" diet, which can mean avoiding foods with unhealthy fats, added sugar or salt, genetic modifications, artificial colors, or flavors and preservatives.
› Yoga Health
› Yoga Health Center
› Yoga Health Article
› Your Health And Your Wealth